The steamboat era began in earnest when the Concord & Claremont railroad was extended from Bradford to Claremont through Newbury. The Bradford Depot was the last stop from 1850 to 1870. The climb of 100 feet per mile was almost impossible for a train. Ten thousand cubic feet of granite rock at the Newbury Summit barred the way for 20 years until 1870 when the Newbury Cut was blasted.
Steamboats met summer visitors and their baggage transporting them to hotels, summer homes, and boarding houses around the lake.
click on the first photo to start a slide show