John Lyons, a member of the Newbury Historical Society, presented a slide show about the challenge of extending Concord to Claremont Railroad from Bradford to Newbury. The Bradford Depot was the last Concord stop from 1850 to 1870 while the Newbury Cut was being blasted. The climb of 100 feet per mile was almost impossible for a train. Ten thousand cubic feet of granite rock at the Newbury Summit barred the way for 20 years until 1870.
click on the first photo to start a slide show